Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Super-8 magazine

  1. #1
    jefury
    Guest jefury's Avatar

    Post

    Does anybody know of any Super8/Filming/Movie like magazines or newsletters that I can subscribe to?

    Thanks

    Jeff

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    There are none.
    I have seriously toyed with the idea of starting one for over a year now, actually, since I do graphic design now, and have been in that end of the publishing business for about 12 years or so.

    But I've got so many irons on the fire now, that I haven't had time to really do anything to launch it.

    The first thing, would be to do research to see if it's even worth it.

    I mean, if I end up with 231 subscribers, it would hardly be worth doing.
    So I thought of doing a Super 8/16mm magazine, and eliminating digital cameras altogether.
    Nothing but film acquisition, and whatever is involved in the process, like all editing technology, tricks, tips, equipment modifications, articles on scriptwriting, working with actors, etc.
    I mean, I would cover digital technology, as it applies to editing software, capture cards, etc., but leave the DV camera and acquisition to the 1,000 other magazines covering that already.

    Any ideas or suggestions?
    Would you guys actually subscribe to something like this?

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Nigel
    Guest Nigel's Avatar

    Post

    No, but one never knows what the future may hold. We walk among those with the time and drive that I hope could launch something. Good Luck

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Frank Houiellebecq
    Guest Frank Houiellebecq's Avatar

    Post

    The A.C.E. magazine has been running for years in the U.K. ( Amateur Cine Enthusiast)
    email :[email protected]

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Frank Houiellebecq
    Guest Frank Houiellebecq's Avatar

    Post

    web site for A.C.E. is www.cornwall-net.co.uk/ace/

    ------------------

  6. #6
    jefury
    Guest jefury's Avatar

    Post

    Hey Matt,

    A magazine on Super 8/16mm sounds really neato. I like the idea of how it eliminates DV and other types of magnetic strip that has no depth in the picture at all. That way, the magazine gives the true definition of FILM. The burning of light onto a trip of film to creatw a beautiful image. Well, I'm just making no sense.

    I would definately subscibe to a magazine like that. Well, hope to hear more news on it.

    That A.C.E. magazine looks nice but too expensive for me. Too bad there ain't one like that here in North America.

    Jeff

    ------------------

  7. #7
    dogstarman
    Guest dogstarman's Avatar

    Post

    Matt, you have no idea what you just got yourself into...

    ------------------

  8. #8
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dogstarman:
    Matt, you have no idea what you just got yourself into...

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Oh yes I do.
    That's why I haven't done it yet!
    I know it would be a nightmare amount of work, and that's why I'm still in the research phase.
    I may never do it.
    I know how to actually create the magazine, from a technical end: creating the thing in software, outputting it to film, getting it printed, etc., because I've been in the print business for eons.
    However, the sales thing is not my expertise, and I know that's how any magazine lives or dies.

    I've entertained it though, because I knew a guy who started a magazine when I used to work at Creative Computers, and I saw it go from a little cheezy two page spot color newsletter, that he carried around and put stacks of them in computer stores, to a full blown magazine, in not that much time.
    His name is Lee Stranahan, and he started Video Toaster Magazine from that little newsletter. (It sucked, by the way.)
    Then he went to color covers, then full color, etc., and eventually it turned into a real, honest to god magazine, seen in all the bookstores!
    He sold it, and I think now it's turned into something else again.
    So it can be done, and this guy was no genius either! He just knew how to use the Toaster well, that's all.
    So there must be more Super 8 shooters now, than there were Video Toaster users then, wouldn't you think?

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •